Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The fruits of our labors

From Snowflakes and Flowers


This summer we decided to put in a garden. We are just renting here but the owner said we could place a garden where there used to be one before. Well, we used the elders as brute labor to help pull out the grass (crab grass is the worst). And then there was the tilling and planting. After all of that, the end result is what you see above. Wheww! Larry didn't have much time and so I (Kaylene) had to do most of the work despite the fact that I was a few months prego.

From Snowflakes and Flowers


After a few months of watering and weeding (yet we didn't do much weeding) we had:

From Snowflakes and Flowers


Tomatoes, zucchini, squash (acorn, butternut, spaghetti), and bell peppers (at least the plants of the bell peppers).

From Snowflakes and Flowers


From just one day of harvest this was the result. What beautiful color and flavor.

I loved the part that when everyone was upset for the price of tomatoes, I had plenty here at home to do what I pleased and more to spare. I sure does pay to plant a garden. I also had the opportunity to figure out the many ways to eat a zucchini.

1 comment:

Jodi Jean said...

how fabulous!! i kept thinking i should plant a garden ... but i got tooo lazy and didn't do it. good job!!